Image courtesy of openaccessweek.org distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License
- American Association of Law Libraries
- American Library Association
- Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries (AAHSL)
- Association of College & Research Libraries(ACRL)
- Association of Research Libraries (ARL)
- Creative Commons
- Greater Western Library Alliance
- International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions (IFLA)
- Open Society Foundations
- Public Knowledge
- Public Library of Science (PLoS)
- Scholarly Publishing and Academic Resources Coalition (SPARC)
- Special Library Association (SLA)
- Council of Scientific & Industrial Research
- Department of Biotechnology and Department of Science & Technology, Ministry of Science & Technology
- Indian Council of Agricultural Research
- National Knowledge Commission
While you select a journal for publishing your research paper, please do consider whether the publisher allows you or your library to archive pre-print, peer-reviewed version or published version of your paper. Here is a Directory ( Sherpa/ RoMEO/Juliet) which lists journals and their policies and will be good help to you in deciding.
This resource guide serves as gateway to various resources available under the Open Access Initiative. Open Access Resources are available in various forms and types such as e- journals, e-books, Electronic Theses & Dissertations, Directories, e-print archives, digital repositories, open education resources, search engines and blogs etc. All these resources are scholarly and useful to support our academic and research work and are available on the web. Most of these being free, can be accessed without any restrictions at the user end. Resources listed here are mainly on the web, except few, which are part of library collection.
This resource guide, enable you to access at one point, a large number of national and international scholarly resources and by no means is a comprehensive list, but serves as a useful starting point. We strive to add newer resources and keep the entire range of resource lists updated from time to time.
We request your active participation in making this resource guide as useful starting point for scholarly resources and request for your comments and suggestions.
BOOKS AVAILABLE IN LIBRARY
INDIAN OPEN ACCESS REPOSITORIES
ONLINE PATENT DATABASE
OPEN ACCESS DIRECTORIES
OPEN EDUCATIONAL LEARNING RESOURCES
OPEN RESEARCH DATA REPOSITORY
SEARCH ENGINES (SCHOLARLY)
STRONG OPEN ACCESS SUPPORTER
THESES AND DISSERTATIONS
The High Throughput Experimental Materials (HTEM) database is a collection of more than 140,000 sample entries of data on inorganic thin-film materials for advanced energy research. The entries offer “details about the structural, chemical, and optoelectronic properties of the materials, and their synthesis conditions,”
Print Location: Library Stock Area
- Crawford, W. (2011). Open access: what you need to know now. Chicago: American Library Association.
Acc. No.: 013931 Call No.: 070.57973 CRA
- Eve, M. P. (2014). Open access and the humanities: contexts, controversies and the future. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Acc. No.: 019971 Call No.: 070.57973 EVE
- Suber, P. (2012). Open access. Cambridge : MIT Press.
Acc. No.: 012874 Call No.: 070.57973 SUB
Selected list of web based open accessible Encyclopedia
- Encyclopedia Astronautica
- Encyclopedia of Earth
- Encyclopedia of Mathematics
- Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy
- New World Encyclopedia
- Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy
- The On-Line Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences® (OEIS®)
Initiated under the Million Books Project, digitized and hosted all the significant works published in India. Supported by Govt. of India with active participation of 21 Centers.
Provides an access to over 3000 e-books from more than 100 well-known publishers covering almost all disciplines.
Provides over 9327 academic peer-reviewed e-books, and other documents with links to the full text of the publication at the publisher website.
A collaborative electronic book repository supported by 60 academic and research libraries. It provides free access to books, serials, standards, theses, etc.
Internet Archive is nonprofit digital library providing the free public access to collection of digitized materials, including websites, music moving images and public domain books.
A digitization project of books initiated by Carnegie Mellon University. It provides access to over 1.5 million e-books to the readers.
Project Gutenberg offers over 46,000 free ebooks, user can choose among free e-pub format books, free kindle books, download them or read them online.
Open Access database of chemistry resources at European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI).
ChemSpider is a free chemical structure database providing full- text and access to over 58 million structures from hundreds of data sources owned by the Royal Society of Chemistry.
ChemSynthesis is a freely accessible database of chemicals. There are currently more than 40,000 compounds and more than 45,000 synthesis references in the database.
A free bibliographic database offering over 200,000 records of all publications by American Society of Civil Engineers.
This is a collection of bibliographies of scientific literature in computer science from various sources, covering most aspects of computer science.
DBLP Provides bibliographic information on Computer Science. Indexes more than 1 million articles and also it contains 10,000 links to home pages of Computer Scientists.
This database provides access to over 1.5 million educational literature and resources.
Indian Science Abstracts (ISA) is a bibliographical database published by NISCAIR.
IndMED - bibliographic database covering prominent peer reviewed 100 Indian medical journals bibliography.
It is a database primarily of references and abstracts on life sciences and biomedical topics.
- BASE: Bielefeld Academic Search Engine
- Core: Connecting Repositories
- Google Patents
- Google Scholar
- Microsoft Academic Search
An authoritative worldwide directory of academic open access repositories and provides a quality-assured listing
ROAR is a searchable international Registry of Open Access Repositories indexing the creation, location and growth of open access institutional repositories and their contents.
ROARMAP is a searchable international registry charting the growth of open access mandates adopted by universities, research institutions and research funders.
Repository 66 Map is a map of open access repositories. It shows worldwide open access digital repositories using data from ROAR and OpenDOAR.
Hosts open access articles published under the Sponsoring Consortium for Open Access Publishing in Particle Physics (SCOAP3).
Provides open access to quality research journals published in developing countries on biodiversity, environment, conservation and international development.
BioMed Central is an Open Access (OA) publisher and few of their journals cover Neurobiology, Neuroscience, Neurology and Psychiatry topics.
An online open access journal dedicated to publishing medical research from all disciplines and therapeutic areas.
This is a largest archive of free full-text article and also publishing platform for eBooks, journals, proceedings etc.
A nonprofit open access scientific publishing project aimed at creating a library of journals and other scientific literature under an open content license.
PubMed Central (PMC) is a free digital repository that archives publicly accessible full-text scholarly articles that have been published within the biomedical and life sciences journal literature.
An online directory that indexes and provides access to 10,000 + high quality, open access, peer-reviewed journals covering all disciplines.
Some of the major Indian publishers, who are offering their entire range of journals under open access
- CSIR-NISCAIR Journals
- Indian Academy of Science
- Indian Council of Medical Research Journals
- Indian National Science Academy
- Indian Medlars Centre MedInd journals
- Sankhya: the Indian Journal of Statistics
Here is the list of popular e-print archives.
- ADS SAO/NASA Astrophysics Data System
- AgEcon Search
- CERN Document Server
- Cryptology ePrint Archive
- ECS EPrints Repository
- E-prints Library and Information Science (E-LIS)
- Mathematical Physics Preprint Archive
- Open Archive HAL
- Organic Eprints
- RePEc (Research Papers in Economics)
Institutional repositories presenting scholarly and intellectual output of their respective organizations.
Directory of Indian Institutional Repository
- CSIR Central
- Institutional Repository at Department of Biotechnology (DBT)
- Institutional Repository at Department of Science and Technology (DST)
- Science Central [Open Archive IR Harvester for DST and DBT]
- CSIR-Indian Institute of Chemical Biology
- CSIR-NAL Institutional Repository
- Indian Institue of Astrophysics Digital Repository
- IIT Bombay Repository
- IIT Gandhinagar Repository
- Indian Institute of Management Kozhikode
- Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
- National Institute of Technology (NIT) Rourkela
- National Physical Laboratory (NPL)
- RRI Digital Repository
Here is the list of open research data repositories.
- European Variation Archive (EVA)
- NASA Global Change Master Directory (GCMD)
- UN Resources
- UNESCO: Open Access Publications
- UNDP Projects
- World Bank: Open Knowledge Repository
- Worldwide Protein Data Bank (wwPDB)
- To browse the list of recommended scientific data repositories click here
A collaborative collection of twenty-nine educational non-profit and for-profit organizations which are affiliated with more than 200 colleges.
Open Access Textbooks is a FIPSE Grant Project to creating a model of open textbook and establish a state wide open textbook initiative.
This is an open access textbook publishing initiative established by State University of New York libraries and supported by SUNY Innovative Instruction Technology Grants.
OpenDissertations.org is a collaboration between EBSCO and BiblioLabs that brings an innovative approach to increasing traffic and discoverability of ETD research.
Contains metadata & full text of more than one million electronic theses and dissertations contributed by 125+ member universities & consortia. To visit the Global ETD Search - http://search.ndltd.org/
Indexes theses and dissertations from well-known sources and provide direct link to the full text ETD.
Provides access to full text of theses submitted by the researcher himself under open access initiative with PQDT open.
A source for theses submitted to Indian universities, which includes biological sciences & engineering.
Here are the set of database and search engines providing access to search and retrieve patents.
- Espacenet Patent Search
- FreePatentsOnline (FPO)
- Google Patents
- Indian Patent Search (IPAIRS)
- US Patent and Trademark Office (PTO)
OGC(R) standards are technical documents that detail interfaces or encodings. Software developers use these documents to build open interfaces and encodings into their products and services.
Public.resource.org is open standards & codes on public safety, world trade and world peace on a noncommercial basis.
To browse the detailed Standards Resource Guide click here
These serve catalogue of quality Internet resources in different disciplines.
- Chemdex: the Directory of Chemistry
- ChemWeb: a Chemistry Portal Central to Science
- Vifamath: the Virtual Library of Mathematics
- Wester Water Digital Library
- World Library of Science
- WWW Virtual Library
Here is a growing collection of open courseware
National Institutes and Universties
- CEC Learning Object Repository
- e-PG Pathshala
- National Repository of Open Educational Resources
- Carnegie Mellon Open Learning Initiative (OLI)
- Harvard Online Learning
- Johns Hopkins Opencourseware
- MIT Open Courseware (OCW)
- Open Yale Courses
- SNU Open Courseware
- UK Open University Learning Space
- University of Saskatchewan: Open CourseWare
List of collections presenting video lectures.
- Academic Earth
- Engineering Tube
- Free Lecture Videos
- Khan Academy
- MIT TV
- Online Video Lecture
- Video Lecture. NET
TeacherTube is a free instructional and educational resources such as video, audio, documents, photos, groups and blogs shared by the teachers.
List of commercial publishers who are offering publication of open access articles in their selected Journals.
- Elsvevier Open Access
- Royal Society Open Science
- RSC Gold Open Access
- SAGE Open
- Springer Open Access Journals
- Taylor and Francis Open Access
- Wiley Open Access
The MERLOT (Multimedia Educational Resource for Learning and Online Teaching) Repository provides access to a curated Open Access online collection of Open Educational Resources (OER) that includes learning and support materials and learning objects. It is a database of metadata that describe: 1) all the learning materials, including 1,500 learning exercises (the total number of materials is more than 80,000); and 2) the profiles of registered MERLOT Members (more than 155,000). The content creation tools (ePortfolio, learning materials), as well as personal spaces (Bookmark Collections, Voices ‐ a community networking site) are integrated on the same platform. Together, these resources create an open, content-rich, flexible and collaborative environment for learners, educators, and researchers and offer a highly cost-effective approach to supporting instruction and learning processes.
About: Jeffrey Beall is the Scholarly Communications Librarian at Auraria Library. His work involves informing the library, including open-access publishing, author and publisher misconduct, and scholarly publishing ethics.
Video Lectures click here
Scholarly Profile click here
About: John Willinsky is Pacific Press Professor of Literacy and Technology at the University of British Columbia. He is the author of Empire of Words: The Reign of the OED and a developer of Open Journals Systems software.
Video Lecture click here
Scholarly Profile click here
About: Peter Dain Suber is a philosopher specializing in the philosophy of law and open access to knowledge. He is Director of the Office for Scholarly Communication Office at Harvard and Harvard Open Access Project, a Faculty Fellow at SPARC.
Scholarly profile click here
About: Richard Poynder has been observing and reporting on the evolution of the Open Access (OA) movement. He takes a particular in interest in the Open Access movement.
Scholarly Profile click here
About: Stevan Harnad is a cognitive scientist based at the Université du Québec à Montréal. He is also one of the leading lights of the Open Access (OA) Movement, and a self-styled "archivangelist".
Video Lecture on Open Acess click here